Its history and notable features of the building
In 2014, St Matthew’s was listed as Grade II by Historic England for both its architectural merits and its splendid and original period interior – especially for its ‘particularly fine’ fixtures and fittings; and its ‘fine and complete collection’ of late 19C and 20C stained glass. Many of the windows and the carved and glazed Memorial Screen at the rear of the nave are of particular interest as they celebrate local regiments and individual parishioners who fell in the First World War; and were carried out by noted artists of the late Arts and Crafts period. The Church is a much-loved central Ealing landmark, commanding a view across the expanse of Ealing Common.
Our Church has its origins in a temporary iron church erected on the triangle of grass in Grange Park in 1872. At this time it was called the St Matthew’s Mission District Church. The land was lent by Mr Daniel Radford, a member of the Congregational Church, Ealing Green, for as long as would be necessary.
St Matthew's is a fine example of a late Victorian church, possessing exceptional stained glass windows and woodcarvings. It is built of brown sandstone and red brick in the Gothic style with an apsidal chancel. It is unorientated. There are the beginnings of a tower in the Entrance Porch, but this was never built. Pevsner, the church historian, called St Matthew's “a capacious red brick basilica". St Matthew’s is reputed to have the longest aisle in Ealing!
Work commenced on the canopied CHOIR STALLS and CARVED OAK PANELLING in the chancel in 1892 and took four years to complete It was designed by T W Cutler of Bloomsbury, an architect and made by Messrs Robinson of Kingston upon Thames. T W Cutler also designed the former Italian Hospital in Queen Square and a 19th century italianate villa, which is now part of the University of Greenwich.
The 1ST WORLD WAR MEMORIAL SCREEN was designed by Mr Reginald Hallward (1858 – 1948) , the noted stained glass artist and resident of the parish of St Matthews. We also have five of his stained glass windows. He was chosen to make the War Memorial tablet in St George’s Chapel in Westminster Abbey.
We also have some work by the Master Glass Painter Edward Frampton (1850–1929).
The Organ and organ case is by August Gern, who was foreman for Cavaille-Coll (builders of the organ in Notre Dame, Paris). It is a three manual pipe organ, built in 1884. The organ was completely rebuilt and enlarged in 1912. The organ was more recently improved in 1995.
We have a tradition of Ecumenism, having shared our church with the Polish Roman Catholics and currently with the South Indian Christian Believers Fellowship.